28 x 8 cms. fretted handle enclosing a small lead weight for a rattle, the blade inlaid with a crackled green stone or quart,
From the Collection of Dr. John Hewitt (1880 –1961) Curator of the Sarawak Museum in Kuching, Sarawak from 1905 to1908. In 1909 he went to South Africa to work as an assistant curator at the Transvaal Museum in Pretoria. In 1910 he was appointed Director of the Albany Museum in Grahamstown, eventually retiring in 1958. He was a founder member of the South African Museums Association and following his retirement as director the new wing of the Albany Museum in 1958 was named after him.
Stock ref: 14374