CAST IRON FOUNDERS TO THE WORLD
Sixth Edition, 1-396 + 397-696 pp. map and numerous illustrations. 2 vols. roy.8vo, 11 x 7¾ ins. original green cloth, some wear at head and tail of spines,
Walter Macfarlane & Co. flourished between 1850 and 1965. Founded in Glasgow by Walter Macfarlane (1817-85), the firm opened its first premises in 1850, in Saracen Lane, behind the Saracen Head Inn, in the Gallowgate. It flourished greatly during the Victorian era producing everything from Gazebos and Summer Houses, to Wrought Iron Gates, Railings and Urinals. Their work was exported all over the world including the Verandas and Fountain at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore, the fountain at the Turf Club in Penang, in India, Tasmania, Argentina and Cyprus. In 1880, Macfarlane's nephew, Walter Macfarlane II (1853-1932) took the firm into the 20th Century and commissioned many of the Glasgow Style architects. An astonishing amount of the firm's architectural crestings, fountains and railings were destroyed after being requisitioned during World War II, as vital material for the war industries and to boost public morale - a scheme which actually resulted in the unnecessary destruction of much of Britain's ornamental street furniture and its being consigned to rot in scrap yards around the country, or dumped at sea. Many more were removed in the 1960's due to high maintainance costs.
Stock ref: 13786