4¾ x 4 ins. approx. 7oz.,
HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765. She was first reconditioned in 1800, and converted from 100 to 104 guns. She was famously Nelson's Flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar sending to the Fleet his famous message "England expects that every man shall do his duty". By 1831 she was laid up. She housed the Naval School of Telegraphy from 1889. By 1921 she was in serious need of restoration and was moved to No.2 Dry Dock in Portsmouth, and under the supervision of the Society for Nautical Research, money was raised for the work. In 1928 George V unveiled a plaque commemorating this great restoration, although the work continues. This Souvenir is from that period. She was bombed unsuccessfully during the Second World War. She continues to be flagship of the Second Sea Lord and is the oldest naval ship still in commission.
Stock ref: 13060